Thursday, February 7, 2013

Helping Dogs. Five Euro Fridays.

I found Milena from Saving Suffering Strays on Facebook recently. I am impressed by her tireless efforts to feed, house, love and find shelter and forever homes for the many street dogs and strays in Sarajevo, Bosnia-Herzegovina. It seems the government there is quite corrupt with regard to animals and it's quite sad. To read more about what Milena does, here is her Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Saving-Suffering-Strays-Sarajevo/108269329313209 If you want to help at all, ever, you can donate anytime or she has "Five Euro Fridays" where a donation of around $6.75 USD helps her to feed and find homes for these sweet animals. Am I a dog lover? Yes. I can honestly say I was pretty unaware of the cruelty towards animals all over the globe until recently. I could never watch those ASPCA commercials. I've recently become vegetarian (not because of dogs, but because of how we treat animals here and everywhere. I don't hate anyone for eating meat. I just don't want to anymore.)and I must say the main thing is this: When you see something inhumane, awful or offensive, you have to DO something. I'm trying to put my money where it helps and makes sense. Once you know, you can't go back and pretend to not know. And in my opinion, kind people hanging around and knowing about evils, but doing nothing to help just helps evil prevail. Wasn't it Maya Angelou that said "When you know better, you do better." I think that's true of my life. All I want to do now is pass on causes that are important to me. Feel free to come back when I chat about cake. I'm passionate about design, CAKE AND animals. I can also stick it right up my arse, but this is how I feel. The reason I feel compelled to help here (and I do domestically as well.) is because the government is so corrupt and here in the USA, in most places we don't just have puppies born who then end up wandering the streets searching for food in garbages. I feel like I MUST do something to help. And again, I am so impressed and humbled by what I see Milena do everyday. You can see daily photos of many street dogs in her flat being fed by her, Milena on the streets with bags of dogfood feeding the animals. It's incredibly sad but very inspiring.
Here is Milena's Mission: My name is Milena Malasevic - I am desperate about the plight of stray dogs in Bosnia-Herzogevina. So many are suffering from abuse, neglect, starvation and there are hardly any shelters in the whole country. Many people believe strays should be killed rather than neutered or spayed and kill dogs themselves with rifles and sling shots - there are also regular poisonings - dogs die here every day. Not that long ago youths in Sarajevo attached a firework to a dog's face and a couple cemented dogs into a wall - abuse here is sadly a day to day occurrence. I have the most urgent dogs in my tiny flat 12th floor and in kennels - and I go each day to feed and care for the many many hungry dogs in my area (150-200), which includes an industrial park. I love all the dogs I care for and they love me. For them it is the only love and care they have ever known. I arrange adoptions but I desperately need financial help to pay for food, vet bills and kennels. I am always looking for adopters - I foster dogs in my flat and use kennels and am always looking for forever homes. I feature dogs for adoption on this page and in the photos section. In the last 4 years I have helped 300 dogs to find new homes including here, Germany, Holland, Italy, Florida, Norway, Croatia and Slovenia. Thanks for taking the time to read, peeps! Holla for the Dogs who CAN'T Holla! xo T

2 comments:

Tina@WhatWeKeep said...

Hey tater tot- your post isn't showing!

Tina@thriftingwithcake.blogspot.com said...

Grr..thanks for the heads up! Was having blogger issues last night..notice how my Etsy shop is gone? I was trying to get rid of the now finished "chip in" at the top of my page. While doing so, my Etsy shop turned Danish...very confusing!

Have Magoo email me..isn't he a computer wiz??